From Ambergate, towards Chesterfield, the next difficulty for the North Midland Railway was the intersection with the Cromford Canal, where the line intersected with the Bullbridge Aqueduct, before it carried on through a station at Wingfield to Stretton.However, in 1849, the branch from Ambergate to Rowsley was built by the proposed Manchester, Buxton, Matlock and Midlands Junction Railway, with a west to north connection between the lines at the original Ambergate Junction.
In 1867 the Rowsley line had reached New Mills, which meant that the Midland Railway could operate from London to Manchester and Liverpool.
In 1875 Ambergate to Pye Bridge Line was opened from Crich Junction near Bullbridge which ran through Butterley to Pye Bridge, near Ironville on the Erewash Valley Line.
Much of its business was coal traffic from Nottinghamshire to Manchester and Liverpool, avoiding Derby.
Ambergate railway station is a railway station owned by Network Rail and managed by East Midlands Trains (EMT) Train operating company (TOC).
It serves the village of Ambergate in Derbyshire, England.
The station is located on the Derwent Valley Line from Derby to Matlock, which diverges from the Midland Main Line just south of the station at Ambergate Junction. The original station was built for the North Midland Railway in 1840, between Derby and Leeds.
It was an ornate building, by Francis Thompson, which would have graced a Lord of the Manor.
From Belper the line ran along the Derwent Valley, along a stretch called Broadholme, with four bridges across the river, through Longlands Tunnel, across the River Derwent and Derby road with a magnificent five-arch viaduct.
It then entered Hag Wood Tunnel as turned towards the Amber Valley.
The station building was just north of this tunnel.
Shortly afterwards a proposal was made for an Ambergate, Nottingham, Boston and Eastern Junction Railway which however never materialised, apart from a stretch between Colwick and Grantham.